Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My Life is Unfolding

Hey!!!

So, more has happened since my last post, SO MUCH more!!!

Sunday Sarah, her sister Emily and I all went to Chicago for some apt. shopping and I had an interview. We made a stop in Kalamazoo for some church and I got to meet Catlin, Sarah's Best Friend! It was so great to meet her! After church we were on our way to Chicago. On the way I got an interview for a second family and so I had two appointments that evening for interviews.

Both went really well, but the second one was the winner. It was a family that has two toddlers, age 2 1/2... they are twins. One is a girl, Hailey, and she has midrange to normal develpment. The other, a boy named Philly, has a condition where his brain did not form all the way. He is hearing, vision, motor, and speech impaired. He is not mobile and he uses a feeding machine 3 times a day to supplement his diet that he eats by mouth. He is one of 19 children in the U.S. that have this condition.
Basically at this families house they have the hub of all therapies. All kinds of therapists (OT, PT, Speech, Vision) come in every morning and work with Philly. Basically I would be a care-giver, but I would also be a part of the therapy team. With my RT background I can provide a good service to the family and sounding board as well as learn a ton of things from these other therapists. I will get to sit right along side Philly and assist in the therapies every morning! Next school year I will attend pre-school with philly which is exciting.
Along with caring for Philly I will be taking care of Hailey as well. It should be an interesting endeavor! I am so excited to learn from the other therapists and really put into practice the things I've learned in my classes while still doing something I love in a setting I feel comfortable in.

Sarah and I found a place to live in Palatine. It's north of downtown Chicago. You can see it here: http://www.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&q=300+N+Brockway&ie=UTF8&near=Palatine+IL&z=9&ll=42.108411,-88.236694&spn=0.49106,1.0849&om=0
We are calling our Apt. Complex "Tony's Palace" because it doesn't have a name and Tony is the name of our landlord/manager of our building. He is a really great guy and has been very kind to us so far. We met his fiance when we signed out lease and she was very sweet.
Our Apt. is 1000 sq. ft and very affordable for the area! We really are getting a great deal. We just got new carpet and tile and soon we will get all new appliances! The outside isn't anything fancy, but its similar to what Concord apt. in Mt. Pleasant looked like, just plain brick, no balcony. they are fixing it all up though so it should be improving! I am so excited to move in and be able to have all my stuff unpacked instead of having it all shuved in the basement in boxes.

Sarah and I are moving on Sunday and I will be starting my job on Tuesday. If anyone wants to come to chicago and help me move you are all welcome!!! Or if you just want to come visit that's ok too!!!

That's all for now!! PEACE!

1 comment:

Joylynn Rasmussen said...

Wow Liz!
You're really moving! How exciting for you, to be so close to a major city and work with interesting people.

I'm so proud of you for your courage!