Thursday, June 09, 2005

Hey Hey Hey

Hi everyone. I am here at the library on this very hot day. This morning I watched the Price is Right with Krista... well, we were both watching it in out respective locations and talking on the phone. It was very enjoyable. For those of you who don't know, Krista and I are going to Cali. July 12th and will be gone for 8 days!!! CRAAAZZY COOL I tell you! We are studying up for our big debut on THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!! That is if we even get in to the taping, and then happen to get on as contestants! We are going to make T-shirts and everything! Any ideas for what we should put on them?

Today has started out to be a good day. I thought of Laura as I ate two toaster strudels for lunch! Now all I need is some shrimp and waffles and I'll be set!! Oh and maybe some NACHO CHEESE! I even thought of eating my lst ice cream treat for lunch too, but I refrained.

I have a presentation in my English class today. I am teaching about in-text citation MLA style. It's not very exciting, but my group is great. We hung out last night at Dorothy's (where I babysit) and ate pizza. We get along very well, which makes the class enjoyable for us. I think most of the favorites in the class are in our group so that's kinda fun. We try to decide who the teacher loves most! hee hee

Update on Gramps:
Last weekend was very difficult as we had to make decisions about grandpa's care for the future. His hospital stay was up as he ran out of insurance money to cover it, and so he needed to be moved. There were a few different options, but our family, with the help of a few winks from grandpa decided hospice was the best choice.
I feel relieved that the whole family talked and prayed together and that my grandfather was consulted about this whole thing. It was important to me to have everyone on the same page communicating exactly what they thought was best. I think I was the only one who realized what was acctualy happening to gramps. It was difficult to see my family come to realize where things were headed.
Grandpa has about 6-8 weeks left tops. Depending on what kind of care plan the hospice staff decides on will determine how much longer he will live. There is discussion to not use the 6 doses of antibiotics that he has been getting, or to only put them into his feeding tube instead of by IV. Also, it was mentioned that they may not use his feeding tube all together. The goal at hospice is quality of life. My grandpa will be made as comfortable as possible for the remainder of his days. If they stop antibiotics and the feeding tube it could be just a matter of days. He would get drugs so he didn't feel hungry and would recieve artificial hydration (basically using an IV or nose tube that provides fluids). As soon as I know the details I will post them. I tried to find out before I wrote this, but couldn't get ahold of anyone.
Overall I think this is a good choice for grandpa and my family. My grandma was taking it pretty hard after hearing the word "hospice", but after visiting the facility with her and seeing the relief on her face and in her posture when seeing friends of the family volunteering there, I think things will be really good. They set up a cot right next to grandpas bed so the two of them can be right next to eachother all night. The environment there is so pleasant and these people really know what they are doing.
It is kinda scary to know that his death could really come anytime now, but I am so happy his suffering here on earth is almost over. There is so much good for him to look forward to. When we were talking to him Saturday about how he wasn't going to get better, and how the end was near, he cried. My dad told him that we just want him to be happy and that soon he would get to go to heaven. I told him that we'd be up there right after him! We all cried together that day holding grandpa in our hands. This has been an interesting, testing, intense, hard, joyful, bonding, contemplative, slap-in-the-face sort of experience so far. I know that the next few weeks are going to be even more of all of those things I mentioned. Going through this is definitley growing and stretching me. Without God I'd be lost right now.

No comments: