Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sucky

Today I went in for a root canal. It didn't happen because the endodonist said that I should wait until I can do the procedure all in one day. I didn't understand exactly how he was planning on doing the procedure, and the secretary didn't really explain that to me, so I was feeling kind of annoyed that it was scheduled that way in the first place.

ANYWAY, that's not what I am here to write about. I am writing because the secretary lady there made me feel like a vile piece of crap. The Endodontist was very kind and said the ladies at the front would work with me on paying for the procedure (mind you after this I also have to go to the dentist to get a crown put on it). The lady at the front was cranky with me. She looked at me like I was the scum of the earth. She asked me if I could pay half of the charge up front. I said yes even though I knew even the $530 would be too much. I felt ashamed that I couldn't pay. So then, she asked if I wanted to pay the rest in a couple of months. I told her that if I had to pay half up front that it would take me a while to pay the rest. She asked how much I could do. I said, "About $50ish a month". She just stared at the paper with a look of shock and dismay. She pulled out her calculator and made a scoffing noise saying, "Well, that's going to take you a long time to pay off". The whole thing was just horrible. Her body language and tone, the way she looked at me... it all just made me feel like I wasn't good enough to be standing there with her.

My feelings are that if you are going to ask some one what they can pay, then don't be surprised at the answer-- or if you are at least hide it so that the person doesn't feel crappy. I tried to talk to my boss about how I was feeling about the money, but he doesn't get it either. He told me to call my parents... HA! He has no idea. I tried to tell him that they don't have any money. He said some crap about how that's what they make you think, but really they have money set aside for this kind of thing. He really has no idea. That just made me more frustrated.

The feelings I feel right now have no description-- my tears speak for me today as my words cannot.

1 comment:

Joylynn Rasmussen said...

Oh my poor dear Liz - I'm so sorry that another human treated you so in-humanely and without consideration. I think it's really important that you provide feedback to her and her boss when you're feeling less hurt but still able to let her know how her actions affected you. I'm sorry your boss wasn't more understanding as well. God loves you so very much dear one.