Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The Search for Love

It's funny how we look for love. It boggles my mind how so much we can fall for someone we don't even know just because they have nice hair and teeth, a cute laugh, or a special talent. And it's funny how we can drop that person in a second and find someone with better hair, teeth, laughs and talents. What really is for sure around here anymore? How long will I oogle over potential husbands until I find the "right" one. How many times will I play my wedding over and over with different men?

It's strange how the human mind works, everyone can just conjure up whole worlds of possibilities with several different endings. I wonder how long it will take for me to know that "he's the one". How long will I doubt feelings of "rightness" until I just jump in there and ask the guy out, or until someone pursues me? Am I inevitably putting off marriage because I am too scared to just go for it? Because I am too scared I'll mess up?

Ok, right here and now I have decided to just mess up! I am going to just do stuff... just be me, and not worry who is watching. I am going to not worry about the "absolute right way to date" that the Christian community tries to pressure on it's young adults. It's all crap anyway, it's all mini laws that we make up so we can feel justified, so we can compare ourselves to every other Christian and make sure we're doing better. I don't think that's what Jesus intended and I am not going to support it any longer. Obviously I am going to have some sense about my actions, and absolutely am I going to ask God for guidance and direction before I go to do anything.... but bottom line is I don't think there is any right way to date, any right man, any amount of time I should wait before doing this or that, any stupid human measurement to tell me if I am on the right track.... I am just going to live knowing that I am justified by Christ's sacrificial death, I am free from the law, and I am not going to carry those laws around with me anymore. Goodbye Law, hello righteousness!!!

What you have just been exposed to are my thoughts, raw and unedited. I just plopped them on the screen with no inhibition. All of what I just said is subject to change. Well, except the truth about Jesus dieing a sacrificial death and me being freed from the law and declared righteous in God's eyes. And oh, that whole bit about the laws that we all make up to make ourselves feel better... that's all rock solid too... So... yeah everything else could be subject to change.

Today is a funny day. I have been happy, joyful, sad, mad, unmad, tired, and excited all in a few hours... I guess it's a "full" day.

This weekend I am going to Genesis. For those of you who don't know it's the Spring Conference for InterVarsity Christian Fellowship (a group that I am a part of at school). Anyway this year the seminars are on Chapter Building! It should be pretty darn awesome. I think there are seven of us going, which is less than I would have hoped, but the group that is going is fun.

This BLOG is getting long, so I am going to stop.


No comments: